Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#135621 - 01/28/10 03:08 AM Vectorworks for iPad
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Loc: London
So, I'd like Vectorworks for application for the iPad. I can imagine it being very useful as a site tool.

Open a model directly from a server over cellular internet connection (or sync before leaving office), view model in various forms, add notes and maybe even some analysis tools that can create information on the fly, etc.

Low priority of course but a wish none the less.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7—12 GB RAM—2GB AMD Radeon HD 6970M

#135629 - 01/28/10 08:16 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
you must be joking right?!!!!

just read up on this ipad and it doesnt even have a bloody USB port!!!! or flash support
this is old tech in new clothing

waste of time in my opinion
Imac 2.5 I5

#135635 - 01/28/10 09:14 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
HP Sauce Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK/USA
Flash is the bane of modern computing and although I'd rather have the option to disable it, am not bothered at all by it being omitted. Even Youtube are testing out HTML5 video for the future. ClicktoFlash is the new sliced bread.

That aside the device is hardly old technology, which tech spec sheet were you reading? Brand new CPU that's awful fast, nice screen, and multitouch. USB is additional and yes probably costs 50 quid for the dongle. The VGA connection can't really be excused.

A giant iPod with more horsepower is a perfect candidate for site visits and such. It all depends on the UI which will require NNA to hire some new talent. Sketchup on iPad would be pretty impressive.

Shame about the name. Real shame...

#135649 - 01/28/10 11:12 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: HP Sauce]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

how would a CAD app work on a touch screen anyway? i rely on my button combos all the time.

Slate computers have been around for ages, its only because its apple that people are going to buy it. I used to supply slates to field engineers for real time data capture etc, and trust me, if your going to be lugging it around on sites, its going to get broken pretty quickly.

Dont get me wrong, i love my mac, ipod etc, but i would rather NNA focus on improving VW rather than making an app for this.

this is a toy really
Imac 2.5 I5

#135654 - 01/28/10 11:56 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

I couldn’t give a monkeys about Flash. The sooner it dies the better. As for a USB port, it’s called a dock connector.

Originally Posted By: monkey
how would a CAD app work on a touch screen anyway? i rely on my button combos all the time.

The world moves on monkey. I can easily imagine multi-touch interfaces that will be more powerful than a hardware input device. You only need to look at the iPhone/iPad software keyboard to realise how much more powerful, dynamic and flexible it is compared to a hardware keyboard. The possibilities are infinite.

I’m just surprised it’s taken this long to ditch the Desktop metaphor.

Slate computers have been around for ages, its only because its apple that people are going to buy it.

People aren’t going to buy these because they’re pretty or because “it’s Apple.” They’ll buy them because they do what they say on the tin. Yes, tablet computers have been around for a while, but they’re all produced by engineer’s or people who don’t sweat the design details.

this is a toy really

Reminds me of a John C. Dvorak quote: “The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things.”

#135655 - 01/28/10 12:22 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

'People aren’t going to buy these because they’re pretty or because “it’s Apple.” They’ll buy them because they do what they say on the tin.'

totally disagree with you here, iv spoken to at least 3 people already who are going to by one purely because its apple and it looks nice, sorry to say it , but there are many many people like this all over the world!!! and most of the time, all they are going to do is surf the internet on it.

dont get me wrong, im sure it will be a nifty toy, but cant see it as a viable platform for VW, and i dont think NNA should waste time on it just yet, who knows, it could be a big flop in a year
Imac 2.5 I5

#135658 - 01/28/10 01:07 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Of course they're factors but ultimately Apple hasn't sold hundreds of millions of iPhones and iPods because they're “pretty” and “made by Apple.” It's a complete misunderstanding of how Apple works. In fact one of Apple's more pretty creations, the Cube computer, flopped.

They’ve sold so many because they work so well. And it doesn’t take a visionary to see that the iPad is an even greater achievement in userability than the iPhone.

#135660 - 01/28/10 02:00 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
HP Sauce Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK/USA
Originally Posted By: Christiaan
They’ve sold so many because they work so well.

Exactly right. Yes there is a percentage of people who buy this stuff because it has a giant light-up fruit logo on it, but most because the software is a pleasure to use. Technically the iPhone is nothing special. It's the software that everybody loves. Same with OSX. It'll be the same with the tablet. Yup tablet computing has been around a long time, but has always relied on an operating system designed for a mouse/keyboard. Not so here.

People are comparing it to the iPhone... I think it's fair to say the iPad was Apple's intention all along, and that actually it is the iphone/pod that are cut-down versions of this 'direction'.

Apple are carving a new market here, for better or worse... Imagine your completely-non-tech-savvy grandparent walking into a shop looking for something to browse the internet and handle emails with no maintenance nor fuss, and without learning an operating system. They see a net/laptop and this tablet. Should generations of newcomers buy into this new, simpler computing fashion, we may find our computers being re-termed as "professional" computers of some sort. Food for thought.

Whatever the weather, I agree with monkey in that NNA resources should be put towards fixing their existing products as opposed to making new. That said, a third party company willing to look at CAD from a fresh perspective could come up with something amazing. Think simple; few functions such as doors walls and windows manipulated by touch for simple survey or design work on site. Could be a winner. I'll grab the SDK and get going.

#135661 - 01/28/10 02:08 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Vincent C Offline
Vectorworks Addict

Loc: Norrköping, Sweden
I don't think VW has to develop any extras here, I can imagine that the iPad is just the first step to a multi finger touch computer that will come soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc
Imagine if you will a 27" iMac with touch screen....enough screen space there for all the toolbars and a virtual keyboard or shortcut keyboard........plus the standard setup if you want...
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, SSD 120Gb, 8GB 1333MHz DDR3
Wacom Cintiq 24HD
www.cuclair.com

#135664 - 01/28/10 03:37 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: HP Sauce]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Originally Posted By: highpass
Yes there is a percentage of people who buy this stuff because it has a giant light-up fruit logo on it, but most because the software is a pleasure to use.

Indeed, in fact I buy them despite the logo. I'd remove the logo if I could. I'm also not a huge fan of the Apple aesthetic to be honest. I often find it a bit garish and childish (although things have gotten better over the years). It's the fact that their machines get out of my way and let me get on with what they're meant to do that attracts me.

#135689 - 01/29/10 05:35 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

dont get me wrong, i love my mac, and was a convert as soon as i started using it for exactly the reasons you have all said, ease of use and pleasurability.

i may have gone off track a little by ranting, but all i wanted to say was that i think this should be a low priority, if one at all.

i would like to think that CAD apps will soon be available in a touch screen format, and that it will work well, but in all seriousness, i think this may be a long way off, i wish it wasnt, but i think it is.

do you think you could draw accurately via touch? i think my chubby little fingers may make a mess of things...haha
Imac 2.5 I5

#135690 - 01/29/10 05:50 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
Vincent C Offline
Vectorworks Addict

do you think you could draw accurately via touch? i think my chubby little fingers may make a mess of things...haha

Well initially I would agree, but having used the iPhone for a while I have to disagree, its little keypad (and all else) is smack on in user friendliness.......and here we're talking 3,5" screen, imagine a 24"/27"/30" one!
Wacom Cintiq 24HD
www.cuclair.com

#135695 - 01/29/10 08:48 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Vincent C]
Chris D Offline
500 Club

Loc: Nottingham, UK

If you think the iPad is a second class computing device I urge you to have a look at iWork for the iPad. This is no compromised piece of software - this is BETTER than the mac version. (Watch the full keynote of the iPad introduction on Apple's website)

Multi-Touch input is one of many ways we will interact with our devices in coming years and the iPad is the first product with a large and very accurate multi-touch screen and its potential is huge. It is a better site tool than a laptop and also better in meetings than hiding behind a laptop screen.

Sure, the first gen iPad lacks the horsepower to run Vectorworks at this point, but consider this - I regularly do a bit of VW on my old eMac 1.25GHz at home in the evenings, and it won't be long before the iPad matches that for computing power.

What I think is needed at this point is a Vectorworks Viewer for iPad, with the ability to view, zoom, print, share, mark-up and annotate files while out of the office. This wouldn't be difficult to program. You bet your life that Autodesk are looking at the potential for this device as we speak.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Mac Pro 3.2 GHz quad Xeon | 24GB RAM | Radeon HD 5870

#135720 - 01/30/10 01:40 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Vincent C]
jeffharris Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Vincent C
Imagine if you will a 27" iMac with touch screen....enough screen space there for all the toolbars and a virtual keyboard or shortcut keyboard........plus the standard setup if you want...

Ever hear of the term "gorilla arm"?
Vertical touch-based computer are ergonomic nightmares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_Arm

I'd love to see Vectorworks Lite... heck, let's just call it MiniCAD... for the iPad. It would be a fantastic field tool. I've tried using my MacBook Pro on site and it's rather clumsy. But also, I've used a Wacom tablet with Vectorworks for years and It wouldn't be an impossibility to make the shift to a touch-based interface.

A touch interface could work well and possibly have the side benefit of forcing improvements to some rather ancient and awkward Vectorworks tools... nested tool selection, or the horribly inefficient Alignment dialogue box for instance!

Since the iOS (iPod/iPod touch/iPad OS) can handle external sensors and the like, I fantasize about some kind of laser or radar-like sensor that connects to the iPad and could possibly survey a room interior and input directly to Vectorworks. Dream on, eh?

User since MiniCAD 2.0.

#135724 - 01/30/10 05:24 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: jeffharris]
Vincent C Offline
Vectorworks Addict

Originally Posted By: Woodpecker

Dream on, eh?

Well I didn't think of it standing, to be honest and perhaps it's wishful thinking, but how about this: 24"/27"/30" iPad with the same specs as the iMac, lie it down stand it up, us a standard setup with keyboard/mouse or lie it down and use it as a multi touch (possibly with pen/stylus) drawing board or even with interactive gloves and 3D goggles) all this is already available in one form or another......I don't think it's to far off. Imaging the possibilities! VW, Photoshop etc........wow

Edited by Vincent C (01/30/10 05:28 AM)
Wacom Cintiq 24HD
www.cuclair.com

#135727 - 01/30/10 09:08 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Vincent C]
Ozzie Offline
500 Club

Loc: Dandenong Ranges Victoria OZ
How about voice recognition?
Nvidia GEForce GT 640M 3GB

www.landscapesbydesign.com.au
www.treereportsmelbourne.com.au

#135731 - 01/30/10 12:16 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Ozzie]
CipesDesign Online   content

Vectorworks Addict

Loc: Ashland, Or USA
What? (just kidding)
Ashland, Oregon, USA
27" iMac 2.8 QuadCore/12GB RAM/512GPU
Mac OS 10.7.4
VectorWorks Designer [Most Recent Release]
User Since Mini-Cad 4

#135748 - 01/31/10 09:53 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: CipesDesign]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Since the days of Apple's wonderous faliure "The Newton" I've been looking forward to seeing a tool that filled the void that the Newton left when Jobs returned to the fold with "Next". The iPod/iPhone managed this to a degree, now the iPad will allow software co's to take advantage of an easy, practical field tool.
Using it as a sketch tool on sight to indicate ideas to a client in Mechanical Engineering field(not just Archie)could be a real step in the right direction.
Yes, NNA needs to get VW's current kinks sorted first, but aiming to provide a fully working version of VW on the iPad could be the persuasion they need to untie some of the longstanding knots VW has.
G5 Dual 2.7Mhz, 4.5GB OSX 10.5.8
Mac Pro Dual 2.66Mhz OSX 10.9

#135753 - 01/31/10 01:33 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
islandmon Offline
Vectorworks Addict

Loc: California
For those of us who've been using computers since the dawn of the digital age the iPad is just another brilliant leap ...
but for those just beginning the journey ... the iPad is a logical extension of the iPhone's mobile paradigm.
It is as compelling for the next generation as driving the original 1950 Porsche must've been to all those 'motorists' accustomed to man-handling the standard production coupe'.
It sparks the imagination ...brings one closer to the feel of the information...and since it has no moving parts or connections ... it takes flight.
I can't wait to get one for my grandson ... just to see what he can do with it.
All application developers, authors, and publishers will need to meet this challenge head-on or be stuck at a drive-in theater watching re-runs.

#135754 - 01/31/10 01:36 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: islandmon]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Too True!

smile

#135769 - 02/01/10 03:44 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Vincent C]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Originally Posted By: Vincent C
Originally Posted By: Woodpecker

Dream on, eh?

Well I didn't think of it standing, to be honest and perhaps it's wishful thinking, but how about this: 24"/27"/30" iPad with the same specs as the iMac, lie it down stand it up, us a standard setup with keyboard/mouse or lie it down and use it as a multi touch (possibly with pen/stylus) drawing board or even with interactive gloves and 3D goggles) all this is already available in one form or another......I don't think it's to far off. Imaging the possibilities! VW, Photoshop etc........wow

I think you're bang on the money Vincent. I was just discussing it at work the other day saying that I reckon we'll be back on high chairs with multi-touch displays the same size and ergonomics as our dusty old drawings boards. For those of us who did a lot of manual drawing this is an intriguing thought to say the least.

#135771 - 02/01/10 03:52 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Ozzie Offline
500 Club

Who knows what the future holds?

Imagine if we had a glimpse 10 years ago of what we have now

#135772 - 02/01/10 05:21 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Ozzie]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ozzie
Imagine if we had a glimpse 10 years ago of what we have now

I would have been disappointed to know we still wouldn’t have made the transition to building modelling by now.

I'm also surprised it's taken this long to overthrow the desktop metaphor.

#135780 - 02/01/10 11:10 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Andrew Bell@NV Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Columbia, MD, USA
If you really want a touchscreen VectorWorks pad, there is the Axiotron Modbook.

#135783 - 02/01/10 11:45 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Andrew Bell@NV]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

True there is, but what I really want is a Vectorworks completely rewritten for iPhone OS (which is what the iPad uses).

#135788 - 02/01/10 12:20 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

What really needs to be appreciated is that the iPad offers a new and VERY useable platform that is almost afordable(the non "G" Pads should be scrubbed and the others dropped in price).All that's needed now is for VW to take advantage of it before someone else monopolises the sector to disuade NNA"s entrance into this area.

I Love VW, but I still think NNA needs to look 1st at refining VW, but who knows, maybe the iPad could be the Springboard it needs to launch it in the right direction.

smile

#135828 - 02/02/10 05:36 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

just imagine all the bugs you would have to deal with if VW was rewritten for the ipad, not worth thinking about! plus, you would be in danger of throwing the ipad when you get enraged by these bugs!!! i find it hard to throw my mac pro at the moment, but i do feel like it sometimes.
Imac 2.5 I5

#135829 - 02/02/10 05:42 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Clutching at straws don’t you think? Bugs? How do you come to that conclusion?

#135830 - 02/02/10 05:54 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

how did i come to that conclusion???? you work on a mac with VW already, work it out! are you saying VW is already bug free as it stands?
Imac 2.5 I5

#135832 - 02/02/10 07:03 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Sorry, I don't understand your logic, you're not making any sense to me.

#135834 - 02/02/10 08:19 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

never mind, im sure you run VW seamlessly every day with no bugs/problems occuring on your current platform. im sure it will be amazing if, as you wish, it is rewritten for a new OS!

i would rather VW is improved as it stands, as the vast majority of users sit on their arse in front of a screen to do their work, not wander around a site with an ipad.
Imac 2.5 I5

#135839 - 02/02/10 09:43 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Antoni, that's my point exactly! VW is loaded with problems. When it does work it's great, but there are loads of aspects that need sorting.
A ground up build for the iPad would give the "Scribes" an opportunity to look at everything with fresh eyes. Starting from scratch giving them a chance to iron out all of the hickups and help stop VW tripping over it's own boot laces.
Nothing that is going to happen over night, but a clean bill of health is seldom a bad thing, is it?

smile

#135840 - 02/02/10 09:48 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
monkey Offline
Journeyman

true, true, didnt look at it that way to be honest. if it would benefit the standard program for the following release then that cant be bad.
Imac 2.5 I5

#135852 - 02/02/10 01:03 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

I think it's more of a long term project. 2, 3, maybe even 5 year turn around for the benefits to be reflected in the "Flagship".
But, Great Oaks from little acorns . . . . . .

#135971 - 02/04/10 04:52 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

More discussion on multi-touch CAD/BIM:
http://www.linkedin.com/newsArticle?viewDiscussion=&articleID=105680306&gid=1846529 (part of the Architosh group)

#136298 - 02/12/10 10:46 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Richard Perrine Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Dallas, TX
my high school kids who engross themselves in apps are even giggling about the ipad... it's a real letdown of a product. wait for the MS Courier- it has more promise...

#136306 - 02/12/10 12:38 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Richard Perrine]
Chris D Offline
500 Club

@Richard

I saw a lot of knee-jerk reaction like this when the iPad was announced, but frankly, as people have realised the enormous potential of this device, the only people still saying this are Apple haters or those who simply fail to understand the product.

As availability of the iPad approaches I've been looking into the apps that are currently on the app store to see what we might expect from developers. I mentioned Autodesk earlier in this thread and they already have a powerful iPhone app called SketchBook Mobile - have a look at:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13872203

Now imagine this product on a 10 inch screen, with a capacitive stylus like the Pogo stylus (http://www.tenonedesign.com/sketch.php). Or imagine a similar app where in a meeting you bring up a PDF building detail and sketch right over it, then email it off there and then. A tablet is so much more collaborative than a laptop.

This is just one example. A cheap, light, multi-touch tablet has so many uses it will sell in the millions.

#136308 - 02/12/10 12:57 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Chris D]
Chris D Offline
500 Club

The iPad is doomed! grin

App Store developer interest nearly triples from Apple iPad hype

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/..._ipad_hype.html

#136365 - 02/14/10 11:05 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Chris D]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

I was thinking about it today and it occurred to me that this is a great chance for a startup or small company to steal the thunder from the established CAD software developers and build an entirely new architect's BIM app from the ground up, based natively on IFC.

#136367 - 02/14/10 11:50 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Not EXACTLY what i had in mind Christiaan when I suggest "A Ground Up Rebuild", as there's already toooo many architecture biased CAD toys out there, smile
BUT, any starting point I suppose is a good one as long as an Engineering sibling (mechanical) gets equal oportunities from the ground up. . . . .

smile

Please.

#136421 - 02/15/10 04:40 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Chris D Offline
500 Club

The trouble with being successful with an innovative approach to CAD is that you just get bought up by the big guys. Revit bought by Autodesk, SketchUp bought by Google..

As someone said above though, the push-me pull-me nature of SketchUp is well suited to a touch screen..

#136631 - 02/18/10 02:27 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Chris D]
lcda Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: México

#137340 - 03/05/10 02:51 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: lcda]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Good piece on iPad software design:
http://mattgemmell.com/2010/03/05/ipad-application-design

Quote:
The essence of the new opportunities on iPad is that this class of device is a natural home not just for the viewers and small utilities we’ve seen on our phones, but also for creators and editors as we see on desktop platforms

Quote:
On the Mac and other desktop platforms, there’s a convention where we have globally-positioned editing UI. Common examples include floating inspector palettes, toolbars, menus, and status-bars. That won’t fly on the iPad, because it introduces a level of indirection between the editing action and the object being edited. It’s a touch-screen device; we should interact and edit directly.

Quote:
any globally-positioned inspectors should nonetheless be contextual in terms of what editing UI they show. Don’t overload the user with irrelevant options; hide anything that doesn’t apply. If you’re editing text, show only text editing controls

Sounds better than desktop software to me.

#138428 - 03/31/10 03:06 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Guided tours of Keynote, Pages and Numbers on the iPad (last three on left):
http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

#138461 - 03/31/10 04:18 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

#138569 - 04/02/10 11:02 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Richard Perrine]
jeffharris Offline
Greenhorn

"wait for the MS Courier- it has more promise..."

You gotta LOVE MS vaporware.

It's an old tactic that used to work for them. Thankfully not any more.

User since MiniCAD 2.0.

#138573 - 04/02/10 11:49 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
jeffharris Offline
Greenhorn

That looks interesting.

Still, I'd LOVE Vectorworks Lite for my (soon to be delivered) iPad!
Something I could take on site. Markup a Vectorworks file or rough out a quick detail. THEN back in my office, sync it back to my Mac and work on it further.

A Vectorworks Viewer with some of the Vectorworks Architect annotation tools built-in would be fine... for now.

User since MiniCAD 2.0.

#139802 - 05/01/10 03:58 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: jeffharris]
xnu Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Linwood, New Jersey
We absolutely need a viewing and mark up app for the iPad!

Punch lists, site visits, job meetings, goodness it would save my back from carrying a laptop everywhere! I hate creating PDF's of everything to take with me...

There are too many possibilities for this device to ignore it. I used it in two continuing eduction seminars to take notes, do research and hope to replace my laptop permanently for teaching. I have had one for a couple of weeks, and have used it all day and can't get the battery below 40%. Its insane. We just purchased 3 more yesterday... It will not replace any desktops, but it will improve our work flow with meetings and communication.

#139803 - 05/01/10 07:00 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: xnu]
Jonathan Pickup Offline

Vectorworks Addict

Loc: Napier, New Zealand
In the meantime, what about sitePAD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlS4M5chI4

#140305 - 05/13/10 03:51 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Jonathan Pickup]
David Bertrand Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
I'm looking forward to VW for the iPad. Especially if it costs only $9.95 like the iWork modules. smile

Powerbook G4, OS 10.4.11, 1.25 Gig
Vectorworks Fundamentals 12.5.3 w/ Renderworks
VW hobbyist since 2005; AutoCad user '87 - '03

#140622 - 05/20/10 04:40 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: David Bertrand]
atari2600 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
As long as it's simple and doesn't try to contain a ton of useless tools. Frankly I'd be delighted if someone came up with a simple as-built drawing app to replace me doing my existings by hand. That way the "lines" could import directly into VW.

#140872 - 05/26/10 03:36 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: atari2600]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Yep! Leave out the Racing Stripes, forget the Bells and Whistles and NNA might even be on to a winner.

Maybe i've already said that . . . .

smile

#141571 - 06/11/10 01:03 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Kevin McAllister Offline
1000 Club

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Here's what Rhino is doing for the iPad/iPhone platform -

http://www.irhino3d.com/en/

KM

Vectorworks 2014 Designer w/Renderworks SP3 | Vectorworks 2013 SP4 Designer w/Renderworks | Since Minicad 5 | Cinema 4D R15
Mac OS 10.9.2 | Retina Display Macbook Pro 16GB Ram | Apple 27" Cinema Display | Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer

#146018 - 10/02/10 11:18 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Kevin McAllister]
MacRider Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: United States of Europe not so...
Ik would like to have VW2011 on the iPad too !!!
But why not begin withe a VW-viewer for the ipad.

Now it is possible to view autocad files on your iPad.

#152901 - 03/03/11 09:19 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
rowbear97 Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Washington DC
With the announcement of the iPad2 and Autodesk already supporting Sketchbook Pro NNA really should get on the stick and produce, what could be the greatest benefit to site analysis since remote sensing.

With two cameras and faster processor this might very well be the perfect tool for anyone working on site development, architecture, landscape architecture.

#152902 - 03/03/11 09:30 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
rowbear97 Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Washington DC
'don't get me wrong, im sure it will be a nifty toy, but cant see it as a viable platform for VW, and i dont think NNA should waste time on it just yet, who knows, it could be a big flop in a year

What a difference a year makes. 15 million iPads in 9 months and growing!

#153209 - 03/09/11 09:31 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: rowbear97]
Linicks Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Wyoming
An iPad and Android viewer would be a great addition.
2.66GHz Core 2 Duo
OSX 10.6.(current)

#153443 - 03/15/11 03:54 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Linicks]
Lenb Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Golden, BC
While the debate on this BB rages on, so does the rest of the real world. Flash is being abandoned swiftly (rightly so until/if Adobe ever gets around to releasing clean code) as battery life is one of the most important issues in the mobile space.

Tablets *are* a new and important form of computing.

A linked Tablet CADD App usable on-site if for nothing else to confirm missing dimensions, non-printed 3D views of intersections etc. would be most useful. Ask not the CADD technicians but the project managers. Autodesk gets this, NNA needs to.

There was also a debate in the late 80's about whether dwg format would ever really amount to anything... L

#153521 - 03/16/11 05:48 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Lenb]
Bryan G. Offline
500 Club

Loc: Minnesota, USA
iPad oh yeah!!
For in the field use, Measurement, notes, sketches, any thing your heart desires.As for outside of the VW use. One site for sharing photos, generating contracts, maps, site layout, even now with twin cams, (I presently have contractors with iPhones use the twin cams to show me issues live via FaceTime). With a VW app the sky's the limit.

need it need it need it!
HP Design Jet 500 PS 42"
Trimble 5605 Robotic Total Station/W LM80

#153702 - 03/21/11 04:07 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: monkey]
TimOlson Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Nevada, USA
Autodesk has a very useful ipad app....those Autocad users I know that have it really find it useful on job site, especially for taking measurements and the like.

#153736 - 03/21/11 08:09 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: TimOlson]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

So, Still no sign of a VW iPad App then?

i suppose we could always wait till Apple went through their shopaholic syndrome period again like they did a few years ago and maybe buy up VW, then we'd be sure to see it arrive on the iPad. smile

#154510 - 04/07/11 03:54 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Christiaan]
sadfasd Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Português (Brasil)
Originally Posted By: Christiaan
So, I'd like Vectorworks for application for the iPad. I can imagine it being very useful as a site tool.

Open a model directly from a server over cellular internet connection (or sync before leaving office), view model in various forms, add notes and maybe even some analysis tools that can create information on the fly, etc.
ipad 2 case
leather ipad2 case
iPad2 cases
Low priority of course but a wish none the less.

ust read up on this ipad and it doesnt even have a bloody USB port!!!! or flash support

Edited by sadfasd (04/07/11 03:54 AM)

#154511 - 04/07/11 04:40 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: sadfasd]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

Originally Posted By: sadfasd
it doesnt even have ... flash support this is old tech in new clothing

Pot, meet kettle.

#154512 - 04/07/11 05:34 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: sadfasd]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Originally Posted By: sadfasd
ust read up on this ipad and it doesnt even have a bloody USB port!!!! or flash support

Dear Sad,
Whilst the lack of ports on an iPad stops me from jumping in, it is in Apples nature to lead the way with a fresh view on "New Tech" and wait for the rest to catch up . . . . . And right now "Wireless Connection" seems to be the top of the list.

All of this just so you don't need to carry an Printer, Drive, Optical, Scanner, MacBook Pro, iPod, Desktop, Plotter, Card Readers, Camera. . . . . . . . . . . .etc. etc. . . . . . And all the cables needed to connect Old and New office paperweights.

smile

Not quite there yet, but . . . .

#154517 - 04/07/11 09:19 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Bryan G. Offline
500 Club

USB, Flash? Definitely not needed at all. This is old tech. I use a program called Billings on my I phone for tracking time. It updates wirelessly with my Mac Pro.
The need for a cable or Flash is a tunnel vision view on whats good or useable.

Remember when everything ran on Dos and a keyboard, then came along a mouse. How weird was that. Now it is THE choice for input. How about Screen Icons, mobile music players(iPod), even the laser writer. All APPLE creations, they are on the forefront of tech. Just hold on for the ride.
HP Design Jet 500 PS 42"

#154546 - 04/07/11 04:21 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Bryan G.]
Vincent C Offline
Vectorworks Addict

....ah now that's all fine and dandy but my VW hardware key is not (yet) wireless.....so even if there was a VW app.....
Wacom Cintiq 24HD
www.cuclair.com

#154556 - 04/08/11 05:37 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Vincent C]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

All good Bryan, but my keyboard still play a "BIG" part in working with VW.

Select Tools? Keyboard

Move objects? Keyboard

Edit Symbols? Mostly Keyboard

Change View? Keyboard

The list goes on. Not that Mices don't play a big part, but Mouse/Keyboard combo is multi dimensional and still keeps things moving faster than just one or the other.

Not that i don't see the benefit of the touch screen . . . . it's just that VW still has to catch up with current tech on our desktop machines(multi processors/threading to name but two) could be a while before we get to make use of the hardware goodies already available to us.

Andi

#154570 - 04/08/11 03:24 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Bryan G. Offline
500 Club

Andi,

I do agree with you about the Keyboard and Mouse. However I do not think that an iPad App is meant to or will replace the primary work station. after all call me spoiled but I prefer my 2 30" monitors versus an iPad screen.
The iPad App would ENHANCE the field or mobile capabilities of VW, not replace.
As for will VW catch up the answer is both yes and no. They are always improving and advancing they may create what we are asking for today but there is always tomorrow and we will ask for more. This is how tech advances.

I think an iPad app would be great, as an aide to the primary program.

And Vincent, I know that the hardware key is not wireless but if they created an app I think they would change this.
HP Design Jet 500 PS 42"

#154571 - 04/08/11 03:55 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Bryan G.]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

Bryan, Ya Can't beat a BIG screen! smile

i fully agree with the complementary status of a VW App for the iPad, Hell, i use use my iPod for everything and it's morsel by comparison.

It really WILL take VW to the next level, if Desktop VW first catches up with the hardware. Multi Processors have been around for far to long now for any excuses.

One thing at a time, in the correct order . . . . . .

smile

Edited by AndiACD (04/08/11 03:58 PM)

#154573 - 04/08/11 05:12 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Bryan G. Offline
500 Club

I agree, But we we can still ask!
HP Design Jet 500 PS 42"

#154586 - 04/09/11 03:51 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Bryan G.]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

No dispute whatsoever on that front . . . .

#156264 - 05/23/11 10:58 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
c_chauche Offline
Greenhorn

Loc: Tennessee
I just thought I would add a comment from a fairly niche industry that Vectorworks caters to.

In entertainment lighting just about everyone is making an ipad/iphone app. So much so that its convince me to get an ipad (I dont particularly like apple but I can't argue with the apps out there that apply to lighting.) It would be fantastic to have a simple viewer that I can pull out of my pocket any time (because I always have my phone with me) and take a simple measurement that I didn't dimension by accident. I'm actually currently using AutoCadWS to do exactly this but its clumsy and requires me to convert my files to a DWG and upload them to a server somewhere.

Even better a program that can interact with lightwright touch. I would love to go in to hang a show with a printed plot, some hang cards and an ipad. No more figuring out my scribbles after the fact. If a light has to move two feet because of some structural obstruction I could update that right there on the ipad, while walking around.

Just my 2 cents.

#157152 - 06/19/11 10:07 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: c_chauche]
td4stage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryville, Mo. USA
Just received my iPad yesterday (ipad 1 16gb wifi refurbed) and it is simply amazing what this guy can do! I am not holding my breath for a VW app...even a viewer, but it would be REALLY useful!

VW Designer 2014 SP2
OS X Mavericks
2013 15" MacBook Pro w/Retina display - 2.3Ghz processor, 16gb ram
Nvidia GT 750M GPU w/2gb ram

#157521 - 06/29/11 11:51 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: td4stage]
New Forest Steve Offline
Greenhorn

If we wait long enough (late 2011? early 2012?) M$ will bring forth Windows 8 and we can have our choice of tablets that have both touch apps & "real PC" apps, including VW !!!

#159104 - 08/16/11 11:17 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: New Forest Steve]
Kevin McAllister Offline
1000 Club

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
If you're interested in NV viewpoint about the iPad, this article has a quote from the CEO -

http://architosh.com/2011/08/the-ipad-how-the-cad3d-industry-is-being-changed/

KM

Vectorworks 2014 Designer w/Renderworks SP3 | Vectorworks 2013 SP4 Designer w/Renderworks | Since Minicad 5 | Cinema 4D R15
Mac OS 10.9.2 | Retina Display Macbook Pro 16GB Ram | Apple 27" Cinema Display | Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer

#159118 - 08/16/11 06:31 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Kevin McAllister]
Ozzie Offline
500 Club

Interesting

http://deviceguru.com/galaxy-tab-10-1-vs-ipad2-smackdown/

http://apcmag.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-101.htm

It is no longer about just ipads or Apple’s questionable reasons for not supporting Flash

Lots of videos out there just do a search for ipad2 versus Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#159386 - 08/23/11 05:41 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Ozzie]
Ozzie Offline
500 Club

Wonder if any tablets will be able to run Vectorworks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOik6joew4

http://www.5min.com/Video/Windows-8-The-Future-of-Tablet-Operating-Systems-517078795

This will be interesting

Surely soon we will be able to run ordinary Vectorworks on Tablet devices – whether Apple, Microsoft or Android – who gives a hoot as long as it happens

#160831 - 09/29/11 11:16 AM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: Ozzie]
AndiACD Offline
1000 Club

i know this thread is getting a little grey around the gills, BUT . . . . .

Now that Lion is the current Mac OS, aaannnnddd, VW 2012 seems to run on Christiaan's current Intel iMac under OSX 10.7 alright(correct me if i'm wrong Chris) . . . . . .

NV should already have been able to grasp "What it Takes" to run VW on a Multi Touch orientated OS like Lion . . . . . ,

So, the "NeXT Step" to working under the mobile iOS for an iPad version of VW, would that be so difficult?
Like i said before, the scratch build for the iPad might help cure and clean up the problems with the old desktop incarnation.

We live in hope.
To New Beginings? smile

#160838 - 09/29/11 12:58 PM Re: Vectorworks for iPad [Re: AndiACD]
Christiaan Offline
Vectorworks Veteran

NV are right to ask what's the problem that needs solving.

One problem is that retrieving information about a project can be difficult when you're out on site, and it can be cumbersome to make sure you have everything with you.

Vectorworks for iOS/Android could solve this problem by allowing you to connect to Vectorworks BIM Server when you're out of the office and view the model, drawings and specification notes.

Moderator:  Pat Stanford, Ray Libby, Tech 
Vectorworks Community Links
Knowledgebase
Bug Submit
Tech Support Request
Downloads-Updates
Vectorworks Gallery
User Groups
Training Resources
Job Board
Services Directory
Plotting Services
BIM in Practice
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
16052 Members
34 Forums
38844 Topics
193934 Posts

Max Online: 200 @ 03/09/13 08:23 AM
Who's Online
4 registered (Brookems, cdub, CipesDesign, mac@stairworks), 37 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
simone, fruitful, Liam McGroarty, audioclay, Alex Fox
16052 Registered Users
Top Posters
Christiaan 6027
CipesDesign 4495
mike m oz 3766
islandmon 3375
Ray Libby 3360